PublishedAugust 18, 2023
Hello Windows Insiders, today we are launchingWindows 11 Insider Preview Build 22621.2199 og Build 22631.2199 (KB5029352)on the beta channel.
- Build 22631.2199= New features launched.
- Build 22621.2199= New features are disabled by default.
Reminder: Insiders previously using Build 22624 will be automatically moved to Build 22631 by:support package. Support packs artificially increase the number of newer versions and introduce and enable new features to help distinguish them from newer devices that have features turned off by default. This method is for the beta channel only and does not represent any changes or plans for the final rollout of the feature.
Insiders who go to groups that disable new features by default (Build 22621.xxxx) can check for updates and choose to install the update that will trigger the feature (Build 22631.xxxx).
What's new in build 22631.2199
Native support for reading other archive file formats
asAnnounced at Build in May, this release adds native support for reading other archive file formats using thelibarchive open source projectFor example:
- . asphalt
- .tar bz2
- .tar kit
- and more!
Please note that encrypted archives are not currently supported.
Feedback: Submit feedback in the Feedback Center (Win + F) under Files, Folders, and Network Storage > File Explorer.
Changes and improvements in Build 22631.2199
- Empty preview areas are no longer displayed for files that do not provide a full thumbnail view. This is part of the work to begin rolling out rich thumbnail (description) views for cloud filesBuild 22631.2129.
[taskbar and system tray]
- Now you can right click on the taskbar, choose "Taskbar Options" and under "Taskbar Behavior" simply adjust "Combine taskbar buttons and hidden labels" to "Never" Turn on Never combine mode on the taskbar. We provide a separate setting to enable this feature for other workflows, such as multi-screen scenarios.
We've made the following improvements to Narrator:
- Changed default verbosity level from 2 to 3, which will now publish "immediate context name and type". Control context types such as "List" or "Toolbar" will allow users to better understand focused controls - the same as standard for JAWS and NVDA.
- Narrator users can input traditional Chinese characters into Windows by adding a traditional Chinese dictionary for detailed reading.
We've made the following improvements to Braille Narrator:
- When you navigate to an attachment in Outlook using scan mode, Narrator & announces the attachment, which is now also reflected in braille.
- Navigating to different headings using the down arrow or the "Space + 4" key on braille while in scan mode is now reflected in braille.
- When scrolling through the list of items, when the narrator announces an index with the name of the menu item, the braille display also reflects the same index value as "1 of 4".
- The End Task feature under System > For Developers no longer requires Developer Mode to be enabled.
- [Add to]Under Settings > Personalization > Device usage we added development to the list, turning it on will launch the development home page. This corresponds to what is shown inOBE("out-of-the-box-oplevelse").
Fixes in build 22631.2199
[taskbar and system tray]
- Fixed an issue where app icons on the taskbar would not move and start overlapping after a previous attempt to do so.
- Fixed an issue where the Safely Remove Hardware icon was not appearing in the taskbar as expected.
- Fixed an issue where the End Task feature would not work correctly if you tried to end a task while the application had multiple windows open.
- Fixed an issue where using "End Task" on some apps would cause other unrelated apps to close.
- We've done some work to improve the performance of the archiving feature during compression in Windows.
- Fixed an issue that caused some Insiders to fail to type correctly when using Japanese and Chinese IMEs after the latest version.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator could not read individual list items in combo boxes on individual webpages when navigating using the up and down arrows.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator was incorrectly announcing a combobox as read-only when the user could actually select a different value from the combobox's list item.
- Fixed an issue where instead of announcing the checked and unchecked states of the radio buttons, the narrator announced the selection for each item.
- Fixed Narrator announcing old information when using the arrow keys to navigate the date/time picker.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator was incorrectly reading the previous and current cell contents when you used the left and right arrows to navigate the table.
- Fixed issue where Storyteller could not read old window titles correctly even after navigating to internal controls.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator would read the entire paragraph when the up arrow was invoked in an online Word document.
- Fixed an issue where the narrator would mispronounce the last word of the previous paragraph when the new paragraph started with punctuation marks.
- Fixed a bug where Narrator would not announce that a character is being stripped when a backspace is used in certain text fields on the web.
- Fixed an issue in Narrator where when entering an arbitrary number in the CVV edit field, Narrator would just announce "hidden" instead of "CVV editing, select hidden newline".
- Fixed an issue where Narrator could not detect different titles on some web pages in scan mode when navigating using the 'h' key.
- Fixed arrow navigation in storyteller scan mode skipping the first item in the container.
- Fixed skipping the first storyteller item after navigating through landmarks with the 'd' key in scan mode.
- Fixed an issue where the narrator's focus would not move beyond the first checkbox if there was a list of checkboxes when using the up and down arrow keys in scan mode.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator did not activate the combo box when using the up and down arrows and using the Enter/Space key to activate the combo box in scan mode.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator would hide combo boxes in scan mode when navigating using the up and down arrows.
- Fixed an issue where navigation commands did not work as expected when opening the dialog a second time.
- Fixed an issue where Narrator posts would not work consistently on web pages when using the Narrator + Ctrl + F key combination.
- Fixed an issue where your HDR background could look washed out even if HDR was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where .JXL files could not be selected for background slideshows.
- Updated the summary view on the performance page (visible when you double-click the chart in the navigation pane) to make the window smaller.
Fixes for Build 22621.2199 and Build 22631.2199
- the!This update adds new functionality that affects the app's default settings. For more information seeA principled approach to app repair and application standards in Windows.
- This update fixes an issue that causes Windows to crash. This happens when you use BitLocker on storage media with large sectors.
- This update resolves an issue affecting Remote Desktop sessions. Sometimes when you try to log in to a session, you get an incorrect error message.
- This update fixes an issue affecting the search icon. When you select it, the Search application will not open. This happens after the machine goes to sleep.
- This update resolves an issue that affected the correct recognition of the search box on the taskbar and search highlighting in the search box.
- This update adds new APIs for D3D12 standalone devices. You can use it to create multiple D3D12 devices on the same adapter. For more information seeD3D12 Standalone device.
- This update resolves an issue affecting disk partitions. The system may stop working. This happens after deleting a disk partition and adding space from the deleted partition to the existing BitLocker partition.
- This update fixes an issue affecting the Start menu icon. When you first log in, they disappear.
- This update supports Israeli Daylight Saving Time (DST) changes.
- This update improves the reliability of the search application.
- This update resolves an issue that affects print jobs submitted to virtual print queues. They fail without fail.
- This update fixes an issue that affects the size of the search box. Its size is reduced in tablet case mode on Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Book devices.
- This update fixes an issue affecting the TAB key. Using it to view search results requires an additional action.
- This update resolves an issue affecting the Group Policy service. It does not wait 30 seconds (the default wait time) for the network to become available. The policy cannot therefore be treated correctly.
- This update fixes an issue affecting settings. It won't sync even if you turn on the switch on the Windows Backup page in the Settings app.
- This update resolves an issue affecting the Resultant Rule Set (RSOP). The Windows LAPS policy setting "BackupDirectory" is not reported. This happens when the option is set to 1 (ie "backup to AAD").
- This update fixes an issue that causes high CPU usage. This happens when you enable "fBlockNonDomain Policy".
- This update resolves an issue affecting users of Windows Update for Business. After you were prompted to change your password during login, the change failed. Then you cannot log in. The error code is 0xc000006d.
- This update fixes an issue affecting WS_EX_LAYERED windows. Windows may be displayed in the wrong size or in the wrong position. This happens when you zoom in on the screen.
- [the]After updating to this version, Check for Updates does not appear under Settings > Windows Update as expected. To manually check for updates, you can open a Windows terminal (or the Run dialog) and enterUSOClient starter InteractiveScanThis command performs the same function as clicking the "Check for Updates" button in Windows Update. Note that running this command will not show any output. To confirm that the operation was successful, you can run this command while the Windows Update settings page is open. You should see your device checking for updates.
- We are fixing an issue that caused explorer.exe to crash on the login screen when trying to enter safe mode.
- In some cases, the background of the File Explorer context menu may appear transparent.
- Investigates an issue where desktop icons may become blank. If something goes wrong, you can fix the problem by right-clicking on the desktop and refreshing it.
- You may see some strings that are not localized for the selected language. This will be fixed in a future flight.
Update the cutting tool
We've started releasing the Snipping Tool update (version 11.2306.43.0 and later) to Windows Insiders in the beta channel. This update introduces new buttons for editing screenshots in Paint and editing screenshots in Clipchamp.
Feedback: Send feedback to the Feedback Center to:click here.
About the beta channel
In the beta channel, we see examples of experiences that are closer to what we want to offer regular customers. Because the Dev and Beta channels represent parallel development paths for our engineers, in some cases features and experiences may appear in the Beta channel first. However, this does not mean that all the features we try in the Beta channel will be released. We encourage people in the industryread this blog postIt describes how we will experiment with Insiders in the dev and beta channels.
important internal links
- Want to know how we made Windows 11? check out oursInside the Windows 11 websiteHear and meet creators from engineering, design and research and share their insights and unique perspectives through their journey.
- You canCheck out our Windows Insider documentation here.
- Controlcenter of flightGet complete visibility into which buildings are in which internal channel.
Amanda i Brandon